Tri-County Restorative Justice has been supporting schools interested in moving forward with implementing a restorative approach. Since 2012, our Agency has supported the Restorative Approaches in Schools Project (RAISP). The RAISP was a collaboration of the Departments of Justice and Education that has provided Nova Scotia schools with tools, resources and supports necessary to adopt a restorative approach.
“I think that restorative justice is a good idea.
It’s better than kicking the kids out so that they get into more trouble on the streets”
Grade 7 Student
Restorative Approach in Schools
A Restorative Approach in schools is founded on the belief that in order to build safe and healthy school communities; we must strengthen and support our social relationships through community participation, respectful dialogue, and sustainable processes that build and strengthen relationships. In this way, opportunities can develop for all school community members to feel empowered and engaged and hence to participate meaningfully. (Jacqueline Ruck and Emma Halpern, Restorative Models Framework)
What is a Restorative Approach?
- Building Safe and Healthy School Communities Through Respectful Dialogue
- New Way of Thinking, Learning and Interacting
- A Shift in How We Understand and Relate to Human Beings and Our Surroundings
- Relationship Focused
Why Implement a Restorative Approach?
- Improves Relationships
- Creates a healthy and supportive environment
- Focuses on mending and rebuilding relationships
- Helps with challenging Issues
- Forms meaningful connections with the larger school community
- Improves Staff Morale
- Decreases Disciplinary Issues
What Does a Restorative Approach Look Like?
- Classroom Circles
- Developing and Sustaining Strong Relationships
- Problem Solving
- Effective Partnerships Between School and Community
What does a Restorative Approach look like when Things Go Wrong?
- Restorative Conversations
- Informal Conferencing
- Formal Conferencing
- Student Facilitators
How Tri-County Restorative Justice supports work in schools?
- Helping to devleop Lead teams within schools
- Provide In School Presentations
- Ongoing Support for Administartion and staff